UPDATE: This position has been filled. Thank you to everyone who applied.
Swappa is a human-powered marketplace for consumer tech, including smartphones, laptops, video games, and smart home tech. With hundreds of thousands of happy buyers and sellers using Swappa every month we’re on our way to over $100M worth of commerce in 2019.
Swappa’s Media Relations Specialist will establish and manage communication and relationships with press, media, and social contacts on local, regional, and national levels. This new marketing position works to keep Swappa’s audience informed of new services and opportunities and increases the effectiveness of our marketing and user acquisition efforts.
Swappa is a distributed team spread out all over the US. This is a full-time, remote, work-from-almost-anywhere role. Part-time and contract work will be considered for the right candidate.
- Build and maintain relationships with press/media contacts and social influencers
- Define, develop, and manage the execution of PR strategy and tactics to raise awareness of Swappa
- Secure media hits for Swappa on local, regional, and national levels
- Author and edit written content, including press releases, media advisories, and blog posts regarding Swappa brand initiatives
- Conduct proactive media pitching and provide timely responses to media inquiries
- Research, develop and maintain media lists using modern tools
- Regularly report on progress and challenges related to objectives
Though we’ve been around a while, are bootstrapped and profitable, Swappa still operates a lot like a startup. Everyone on our team wears many hats and does whatever it takes to get the job done. Egos are left at the door and the phrase “that’s not my job” never flies here.
- You have demonstrable experience managing media relationships and getting press for a consumer brand
- You understand the sales process of getting press coverage
- You are a constant learner and always on the lookout for new ideas
- You like to execute, test and iterate and are not just about “big ideas” and “strategy”
- You are results and numbers driven when it comes to evaluating successes and failures
- You value iterative progress and small wins that accumulate into big successes
- You are comfortable working with Google Analytics and other data analysis tools
- You are adaptable and thrive with change
If you’re looking to be dropped into structured corporate machinery with year-long plans and big, predefined budgets, this is not the job for you. On the other hand, if you like the idea of working remotely for a small company with big competitors and aspirations, this may be a great opportunity.
Swappa is building a marketing department to help us grow faster. Let us know if you think you can help by applying below.
APPLY starting with this simple form: https://swappa.wufoo.com/forms/swappa-media-job-form/