Swappa is a user-to-user marketplace for consumer tech, including smartphones, laptops, video games, and smart home tech. Since our launch in 2010 we’ve helped millions of buyers and sellers get the best value. In 2020 we’ll help our users drive over $100M worth of commerce.
Swappa’s DevOps Engineer will work to maintain application reliability while working to improve overall performance working heavily within AWS, Ubuntu, GitHub, Python and Django, to achieve these goals. This position will work closely with our development and QA teams to ensure smooth code deployments and provide the tools necessary to complete their tasks.
- Amazon Web Services, including EC2, RDS, ElasticSearch
- Python (2.7/3.x)
- Django (1.11, 2.x)
This is a full-time, remote, work-from-almost-anywhere in the US role. Swappa is a distributed team spread out all over the world, but this position requires US residency. Experience working with a remote team is a huge plus.
- Help manage AWS infrastructure to support commerce
- Help manage and configure Ubuntu servers
- Assist with Python code deployments from GitHub repositories
- Configure new servers as necessary
- Contribute to our codebase
- Monitor and maintain application reliability, security, and performance
Though we’ve been around a while, are bootstrapped and profitable, Swappa still operates a lot like a startup. Everyone on our team wears many hats and does whatever it takes to get the job done. Egos are left at the door and the phrase “that’s not my job” never flies here.
- Python programming proficiency, Django experience a big plus
- Bash programming proficiency
- MySQL proficiency and performance understanding
- Amazon AWS experience
- Ubuntu Server experience
- Nginx experience in configuration and performance tuning
You must be motivated, responsible and autonomous to be successful at Swappa. If you’re looking to be dropped into structured corporate machinery with year-long plans and big, predefined budgets, this is not the job for you. On the other hand, if you like the idea of working remotely for a small company with big aspirations this may be a great opportunity.
We are seeking someone who can work both independently and as an integral part of a close-knit team to support the technical side of our rapidly growing marketplace. While Swappa insists on good work-life balance, due to the nature of the role and the culture of the company, this position will require occasional availability at odd hours.
Swappa is expanding our development team to help us drive more commerce. Let us know if you think you can help.