Swappa makes it safe and easy to buy a gently used mobile device. We do everything we can ahead of time to ensure that every device listed on Swappa is fit for sale. Still, as the buyer, it’s up to you to give your new or gently used phone a proper inspection as soon as you receive it to avoid any issues down the road. Use these tips to help make sure you get what you paid for.
- Verify that the condition of the device matches the advertised condition on the listing page.
Note: Details on Swappa’s condition requirements are outlined in our FAQ pages.
- Activate the device with your carrier on your account or SIM card.
- Make a test call. A test call should help you test a lot of things about the phone, including the activation status, the ability to make calls, the speaker, the microphone, etc.
- Take pictures with both front and back cameras. Make sure the camera works and there are no artifacts or discoloration that shouldn’t be there.
- Record a video with both front and back cameras to test the camera and microphones. Makes sure the camera and microphone work and record properly.
- Charge the device to ensure the ports and battery work as expected.
- Check the sound with and without headphones, including the up and down volume buttons.
- Check Wi-Fi to make sure it connects and works as expected.
- Check Bluetooth, GPS, etc.
Essentially, we recommend testing out all the functionality on the device you can think of.
Note: All devices listed for sale on Swappa must meet certain criteria requirements, such as being fully functional.
Other important checks
- Check to ensure the IMEI of the device you received matches the IMEI listed on the private sale page.
- Check the IMEI and its status with your carrier.
Note: If you bought your phone on Swappa, we already did most of the work for you because Swappa’s expert moderation team checks the IMEI number before approving a listing.
What if I discover a problem?
- Notify the seller immediately on the private sale page. The seller is expected to work with you to fix the problem and make it right.
Note: Follow the steps outlined in our FAQ pages if there is a problem, or if you receive a device that’s not as advertised.
No matter what, Swappa staff is always there to help. Our expert support team is available 24/7/365, and our average response time is measured in minutes, not hours or days. We work hard to make Swappa the safest marketplace for used tech, ensuring that things go smoothly for both buyers and sellers. And we make buying even easier with Buy Now, Pay Later. Get the tech you want today, and pay for it in 4 easy installments spread over time.
So what are you waiting for? Click the button below to join the crowd of satisfied community members who use Swappa to buy and sell every day!