Short answer: Is the iPhone X worth it in 2022? Yes, without a doubt, a cheap iPhone X is worth it in 2022. The iPhone X was released in 2017, so it’s a few years old now. But thanks to its top-notch specs, great screen, and striking design, the iPhone X still holds up very well today. The iPhone X will be able to handle daily usage needs with ease, and because it isn’t amongst the newest iPhones — you can get one at a really affordable price.
Upgrading your iPhone should be fun and exciting. But there is quite a bit to think about, especially when you are trying to find the perfect mix between features and price. Swappa is here to help simplify the decision-making process, so keep reading to find out how a used iPhone X stacks up in 2022.
Table of contents:
- When was the iPhone X released?
- What are the specs for the iPhone X?
- Is the iPhone X worth it in 2022?
- Here are the top 5 reasons to buy an iPhone X in 2022
Read our iPhone X Buyer’s Guide and our iPhone X Upgrade/Comparison Guide
When was the iPhone X released?
The iPhone X was released in November 2017, and it arrived as one-third of the 11th generation iPhone lineup. The other two models in the 11th generation lineup are the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus served as the successor to the 10th generation’s iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, and the iPhone X arrived as a new style of iPhone.
What are the iPhone X specs?
Some phone specs are not immediately obvious, such as the amount of storage space or the number of megapixels for the camera. But even a quick glance at the iPhone X was enough to let you know the iPhone was changing — the iPhone X was the first iPhone to ship without a home button and Touch ID.
Removing the home button and moving from Touch ID to Face ID allowed Apple to increase the display size (and quality) without making an overall larger phone. The iPhone X features a 5.8-inch Super Retina HD display and measures 5.65 (H) x 2.79 (W) x 0.30 (D). In comparison, the iPhone 7 Plus featured a 5.5-inch display and measured 6.23 (H) x 3.07 (W) x 0.29 (D)
These days, the iPhone X is most commonly compared to the iPhone Xr, XS, and XS Max due to the similar design. You can see how the iPhone X compares to the previous-generation and next-generation model iPhones in the following chart.
|iPhone 7||iPhone 7 Plus||iPhone X||iPhone Xr||iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max|
|Display||4.7″ Retina HD||5.5″ Retina HD||5.8″ Super Retina HD||6.1″ Liquid Retina HD||5.8″ Super Retina HD||6.5″ Super Retina HD|
|Processor||Apple A10 Fusion||Apple A10 Fusion||Apple A11 Bionic||Apple A12 Bionic||Apple A12 Bionic||Apple A12 Bionic|
|Storage||32GB, 128GB, 256GB||32GB, 128GB, 256GB||64GB, 256GB||64GB, 128GB||64GB, 256GB, 512GB||64GB, 256GB, 512GB|
|Front Camera||7MP FaceTime HD||7MP FaceTime HD||7MP TrueDepth||7MP TrueDepth||7MP TrueDepth||7MP TrueDepth|
|Rear Camera||Single 12MP wide||Dual 12MP wide and telephoto||Dual 12MP wide and telephoto||Single 12MP wide||Dual 12MP wide and telephoto||Dual 12MP wide and telephoto|
|Battery||1,960 mAh||2,900 mAh||2,716 mAh||2,942 mAh||2,658 mAh||3,174 mAh|
At the time of release, the iPhone X was compared to the other models in the lineup, which were the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus. And, if you were buying a brand new iPhone in late-2017 your options would have included the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus.
The iPhone X was often overlooked at the time due to the new factor — it was offering a new gesture-based user interface as opposed to the familiar home button. The iPhone X was also much more expensive when it was first released. The launch price of the iPhone X was $999, whereas, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus were priced from $699.
The good news is that retail prices don’t factor in at the same level when you are buying newish. In 2022, a used iPhone X offers a great mix between features and price, so it absolutely gets our recommendation. Of course, if you are looking for an iPhone with a home button, you also can’t go wrong with an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus. You can check prices for each of these models by tapping the widget below.
Is the iPhone X worth it in 2022?
Yes, the iPhone X is worth buying in 2022. This really goes without saying, but the iPhone X isn’t the newest iPhone on the market, and it is actually a few years old at this point. The age may cause some people to have a second thought, but the specs were top-notch when the phone was released, and the iPhone X will be able to handle your daily usage needs with relative ease. And, with current Swappa prices starting at around $225 (see: current iPhone X price trends) — the iPhone X will be hard to beat in terms of value.
See how the iPhone X stacks up in our iPhone X comparison guide — or learn more about other models in our iPhone Buyer’s Guide.
Here are the top 5 reasons to buy an iPhone X
- Display: The iPhone X has a near edge-to-edge 5.8-inch Super Retina HD display. Key features of the iPhone X display include support for HDR and True Tone, along with a resolution of 2436 x 1125 and a PPI of 458.
- Rear Camera: The iPhone X has a dual 12MP camera setup on the back with a 12MP (f/1.8) wide and a 12MP (f/2.4) telephoto. At the time of release, improvements for the rear camera included dual optical image stabilization and Auto HDR for photos, as well as new features such as Portrait mode and Portrait Lighting.
- Front Camera and Face ID: This next reason is two-in-one. The iPhone X front camera marked the move from the FaceTime HD camera to the TrueDepth camera. The iPhone X 7MP TrueDepth camera meant new features such as Portrait Mode, and it also allowed Apple to switch from Touch ID to Face ID.
- Charging: The iPhone X supports wireless charging using the Qi standard. It also supports fast wired charging using a Lightning cable, which can provide a 50% charge in 30 minutes when paired with an Apple 20W wall power adapter.
- Performance: The iPhone X is powered by the Apple A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine. The A11 Bionic chip has a six-core CPU with two performance cores and four efficiency cores. Apple stated the performance cores were 25 percent faster, and the efficiency cores were 70 percent faster than the previous Apple chip, the A10 Fusion.
You can begin your search for a gently used iPhone X by tapping the widget below.
Snag the best deals on used iPhones wherever you go. Download the Swappa App today!