Your browser does not support JavaScript.To fully experience our site, please enable it.

Facebook pixel

How do I find factory unlocked?

Anonymous

I'm new here. Where are the actual "factory unlocked" Android phones on this site? All the "unlocked" phones I've seen appear to have a carrier showing on the page. I want a phone with no trace of a previous carrier. Is "Unlocked by Samsung" my only choice? Thank you. -not tech savvy

jaysen on Swappa
jaysen

Newer Samsung phones that are "unlocked" come with different carrier apps depending on the SIM card inserted. For instance, I have a Galaxy S22 that was originally purchased from Verizon, unlocked, and is now being used on AT&T. When I would boot up with the VZW SIM I would get a Verizon splash screen and when factory reset I'd get vzw apps. Now, my slash screen is ATT.

I am not sure if this helps clarify your confusion or add to it

Allyson C. on Swappa
Allyson C.

Adding onto Jaysen's answer, do you mean the "Cricket" and "Ting" carrier names next to the unlocked label? I think those are just there by default from Swappa, since they sell carrier-free unlocked phones.

That being said, you can simply just ask the seller where they bought it from to get assurance that it's carrier free.

That being said, new Samsung phones (like Jaysen said) will boot up with the sim card's carrier, even if it's unlocked. My phone is direct from Samsung and it still does that.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I bought a Samsung phone from Amazon renewed that was carrier unlocked (ATT branded). I could use it with Mint Mobile, but it would not update. I discovered on another forum (and from the seller) that the problem was most likely ATT's firmware left on the phone that was blocking the updates. I was told that I could force an update using Smart Switch, but I don't have access to a PC to perform that. I sent the phone back and now have an Unlocked by Samsung phone to avoid that issue.

rikaz h. on Swappa
rikaz h.

Don't worry, "unlocked" with a carrier mentioned likely still offers freedom! Factory unlocked refers to a phone usable on any carrier, but some sites specify the previous carrier for transparency. "Unlocked by Samsung" is a legit option, but look for "SIM-free" or "carrier-neutral" listings too. You'll find your perfect phone without a past!

Post your own reply to get in on the discussion...

Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to other sites. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.

Get Help, Fast

Email

[email protected]

Need help with a listing or a sale?

Submit Help Request

Helpful Links

Swappa's typical response time for help requests is around 20 minutes... That's really fast

Cart, Full of Deals

Your cart is empty :(

Login for Deals

Forums, Start a Thread

Forums, Reply

Cookies

By continuing to browse this site, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.