Your browser does not support JavaScript.To fully experience our site, please enable it.

Facebook pixel

Cell phone compatability with foreign SIM cards

J H. on Swappa
J H.

I know that most USA cellphones don't work (well?) with foreign (non-USA) SIM cards; different countries have different bandwidths and you also need a factory unlocked phone for compatability. How can I identify a phone that will truly work interntionally, i.e., with non-USA carriers? Advice and guidance much appreciated!

Anonymous

I should've said -- non-USA carriers AND non-USA SIM cards....

Will Verduzco on Swappa
Swappa Staff

Hey J H -- welcome to the Swappa Forums!

That's a really great question. It can get a bit confusing trying to figure out which bands and frequencies a phone supports -- and whether a phone will be compatible with wireless networks outside the US.

You should begin your search by looking at unlocked phones. But as you already know, not every unlocked phone works on every carrier.

Fortunately, we've compiled a list of supported network bands and wireless carriers for unlocked iPhones in our Unlocked iPhone Buyer's Guide. So check the bands there and see if they match up with the carrier you're looking to use.

If you're looking at getting an Android instead, tell me the model you're interested in, and I can look into the supported bands!

Anonymous

Thanks! Given that what I'm looking for is not just compatability with USA carriers, but foreign carriers (to be able to use a foreign SIM card with a foreign phone number) as well... I've gathered that I have to be VERY careful to NOT get unlocked phones that were originally distributed/manufactured for specific USA carriers (Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile, etc.) Instead, I have to limit myself FIRST to FACTORY unlocked phones -- and THEN figure out which bandwidths the phone will support. My preference is an Android phone. (I've had the Samsung 7 Edge -- but again, I think not all 7 Edges are equal in that respect...) and would ideally upgrade to Samsung S20 FE 5g -- but again, don't think that just any S20 FE 5g will do the trick. It's mighty hard to parse through all this stuff. We're looking at Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America, primarily....

Anonymous

AND -- thank you for your help!

Roberto G. on Swappa
Roberto G.

How about a dual sim phone? I bought the s10 plus from a seller here and it works with my us sim & my mexican one too

Post your own reply to get in on the discussion...

Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to other sites. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.

Get Help, Fast

Email

[email protected]

Need help with a listing or a sale?

Submit Help Request

Helpful Links

Swappa's typical response time for help requests is around 20 minutes... That's really fast

Cart, Full of Deals

Your cart is empty :(

Login for Deals

Forums, Start a Thread

Forums, Reply

Cookies

By continuing to browse this site, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.