Your browser does not support JavaScript.To fully experience our site, please enable it.

Facebook pixel

Should I get an iPhone XS or iPhone 11?

Anonymous

I have an iPhone 8, and I want to upgrade. I'm looking at the iPhone XS or iPhone 11, since they're pretty close in price. Which would you recommend and why?

Robert N. on Swappa
Swappa Staff

The iPhone XS and the iPhone 11 are both great in different ways! The iPhone 11 is a year newer, so it has a newer and more powerful Apple A13 Bionic chip. But that doesn’t mean that the iPhone XS is sluggish in any way. Plus, the iPhone XS has a few key benefits!

iPhone XS Advantages:

• Better screen: The iPhone XS has a 5.8” Super Retina HD OLED display (2436 x 1125) with True Tone and HDR. In comparison, the iPhone 11 has a 6.1” Liquid Retina LCD (1792 x 828) with True Tone.
  • More storage options: The iPhone XS is available in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB capacities. The iPhone 11 is only available in 64GB or 128GB.
  • Smaller and lighter: The iPhone XS comes in at 5.65” x 2.79” x 0.30 and 6.24 ounces. The iPhone 11 is 5.94” x 2.98” x 0.33” and 6.84 ounces.

iPhone 11 Advantages:

• Faster processor: The iPhone 11 is powered by Apple’s A13 Bionic chip, which is a bit quicker and more energy-efficient than the A12 in the iPhone XS.
  • Better camera: The iPhone 11 rear camera supports Deep Fusion with Night Mode for better image quality. The iPhone 11 rear camera also supports QuickTake video, and the front camera can record 4K video.
  • More colors: The iPhone 11 is available in a wider variety of colors, including purple, yellow, green, white, black, and red.

Each phone has some advantages over the other, but the important part is that each phone will handle your day-to-day needs with ease.

You can't go wrong with either phone. If you’re shopping for a gently used iPhone XS or gently used iPhone 11, you will find slightly better deals on the iPhone XS. But unless you really need the better screen on the XS, we'd suggest getting the iPhone 11 since it's a year newer, and will continue getting support from Apple for longer.

Anonymous

11 also has much better battery life.

Chris A. on Swappa
Chris A.

From an avid Apple User & fellow technician, I would highly suggest going with the 11. Even though both of the phones are similar, you most likely would not notice a difference. Since you are coming up from an 8 (which has a home button) and going to a new one (that doesn't have a home button) your already going to have to adjust to the new iPhone. As fast as Apple comes out with new phones each year, best to switch to the newest one you can that way it will truly last you a long time. I would honestly suggest a 12, but an 11 would be the next best thing. Hope this helps!

Billy W. on Swappa
Billy W.

iPhone 11 has a much improved camera and is a year newer. If they are similar in price, I'd highly recommend going with the 11.

David O. on Swappa
David O.

If you can afford it, I would get the 12. I have one and it's great. They're 699 at Apple store. Or cheaper here at swappa or check craigslist. You'll love face ID for any of them.

Nate T. on Swappa
Nate T.

Coming from an 8, I can only really think of two reasons you might prefer the Xs:

• Telephoto lens
  • Smaller form factor

The 11 has a wide angle lens, not a telephoto lens. If zooming for photos is something you think you'd use a lot, that could be a factor.

The 11 is also pretty hefty - both in size and weight - compared to the 8. The Xs will be closer to what you're used to size-wise. That said, that size gets you phenomenal battery life on the 11, while the Xs is just "ok" on the battery side (still better than the 8, though).

Personally, I'd go with the 11 if it was me. My wife owns one, and the camera is great, and we never miss the telephoto/zoom lens. Battery life is great as well. And the size is something you'll get used to after a few weeks.

Anonymous

I would go with the 11 for battery life alone.

Anonymous

I have the 11 and chose it over the XS for the battery life but I see many other advantages as posted already.

Post your own reply to get in on the discussion...

Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to other sites. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.

Get Help, Fast

Email

[email protected]

Need help with a listing or a sale?

Submit Help Request

Helpful Links

Swappa's typical response time for help requests is around 20 minutes... That's really fast

Cart, Full of Deals

Your cart is empty :(

Login for Deals

Forums, Start a Thread

Forums, Reply