Your browser does not support JavaScript.To fully experience our site, please enable it.

Facebook pixel

3G networks are shutting down in 2022

Will Verduzco on Swappa
Will Verduzco

Legacy 3G networks are shutting down in 2022 to make way for faster and better 4G and 5G coverage. AT&T already turned off its 3G GSM network last month. T-Mobile will start shutting down parts of its legacy network at the end of March, and Verizon is slated to sunset its 3G CDMA network at the end of the year.

Legacy Network Sunset Dates:

• AT&T 3G GSM/UMTS: February 22, 2022
  • Sprint 3G CDMA: March 31, 2022
  • Sprint 4G LTE: June 30, 2022
  • T-Mobile 3G GSM/UMTS: July 1, 2022
  • Verizon 3G CDMA: December 31, 2022

Fortunately, most people won't be affected by the upcoming 3G shutdown. Simply put, if you have a relatively modern phone that connects via 4G LTE or 5G, you won't be affected by the upcoming network changes. However, if you're on an iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, or earlier, you're going to want to upgrade to stay connected. Additionally, certain connected devices such as OnStar systems in certain older cars will be affected by the network shutdown.

Learn more about the upcoming changes and find out if your phone or connected device is affected on the Swappa blog: 3G networks are shutting down in 2022: Here’s what you need to know

What are your thoughts on these changes? Are you okay with 3G networks being shut down in order to reallocate the wireless spectrum for use in newer networks?

Robin D. on Swappa
Robin D.

Something important is missing from this, and that is that anyone trying to continue on with a carrier that was formerly on the Sprint network and transitioning to the T-Mobile network will not be able to use some of the phones listed currently on Swappa due to T-Mobile VoLTE compatibility issues.

I think it would be prudent for Swappa to recheck all IMEIs for Sprint listings, or even remove the Sprint category all together after merging compatible phones into the T-Mobile area.

To be clear, I see many listings for my current phone which I have been told specifically will not function in any way what-so-ever other than a wifi device after the June date in the OP.

Post your own reply to get in on the discussion...

Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to other sites. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.

Get Help, Fast

Email

[email protected]

Need help with a listing or a sale?

Submit Help Request

Helpful Links

Swappa's typical response time for help requests is around 20 minutes... That's really fast

Cart, Full of Deals

Your cart is empty :(

Login for Deals

Forums, Start a Thread

Forums, Reply

Cookies

By continuing to browse this site, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.