THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Swappa is a person-to-person marketplace for gently used technology. We believe tech ownership should be affordable, sustainable, and accessible to everyone. By joining us you’ll be a part of an exciting team enabling more people to experience the products we love.
The Swappa design team is growing, and we are building a culture where the creators own and collaborate directly. You’ll work with designers, developers, marketers and support staff to shape the future of our marketplace. Swappa is a completely remote company, so everyone is given a level of trust, respect, and autonomy not often found elsewhere. That, combined with our lean structure, means you need to be a self-starter and think strategically about how your projects are handled.
After joining you will:
- Identify, research, and solve challenging user problems with a team committed to make buying and selling technology easier.
- Swap hats as you take on a variety of projects in size, scope, and practice.
- Plan work based on iterative improvement. Small, measurable impact is a core part of Swappa’s design and development process.
- Advocate for Swappa’s mission and the for the people it serves. Conversations about customers and their goals must be a part of your design process.
- Collaborate and critique through an understanding of our users and business goals.
- Lead and ship projects through a full design process. We don’t have project managers.
What we’re looking for:
- At least 4 – 6 years of product/UX/UI design experience with a strong background in web and ecommerce and an understanding of how the web shifts across platforms.
- An understanding of HTML and CSS and can discuss technical aspects of implementing design work.
- Strong systemic reasoning and visual sensibility. Logic and emotion are both important parts of Swappa’s design mentality.
- The ability to test and prototype. Some projects must be felt to succeed.
- Strong communication and writing skills. Swappa teammates are as far from you as our users, so it is paramount that you can present and discuss your solutions’ stories effectively.
- A talent for identifying, appreciating, and solving problems our users face.
- Interest in working outside of a typically narrow design role. We all contribute beyond our titles.
- A desire to unlock new ways to connect with our users. We love technology and explore how new platforms can enhance the Swappa experience.
What we offer you:
Swappa is a special kind of team. Because our entire staff is remote and dispersed across the country, each of us brings a different perspective to the table. This gives us a unique edge when providing for our equally-diverse users. We work hard but enjoy a flexible vacation schedule and the freedom to contribute from anywhere. We encourage you to grow in your career while respecting the work-life balance that everyone needs to be their best.
Thank you for your interest. This application is now closed.
We are especially interested in viewing projects that:
- Display a strong and clear design process, from initial problem definition and ideation to final deliverables.
- Showcase your skill set applied to a diverse range of problems and platforms (ecommerce and web-centric projects are highly recommended).
- Have successfully launched, with the potential for post-launch review and iteration